Thursday, June 3, 2010

Lots of Questions

I'm coming close to reaching my latest fitness goal ... a fitness photo shoot with THE David Ford (yes ... I'm still nervous .. heeheehee). You have probably noticed that I haven't written a lot about the journey to get here. There are various reasons for that .. from pure laziness, to being tired after my workouts ... to being low on the creativity. Sometimes there's just not enough time and I need my sleep. But a big reason is because some of the stuff that I've been challenged with, I've been keeping to myself. You see I find myself questioning a lot of the things that I've learned while taking part in this hobby of fitness/figure competitions. I question it because of how my body has reacted to it ... especially when I get close to a crucial event (like the competition and the photo shoot). Why is my body deciding to show signs of stress NOW? What were the triggers? Is it all in my head? What is my body REALLY saying to me?
Then I start to question all the processed stuff I'm consuming like protein shakes and supplements etc. Does this stuff actually work? Why am I taking a handful of supplements before eating my REAL food? Which one of these supplements is causing my body to bloat/hold water/hang on to fat? How much have I spent on supplements that end up sitting in my pantry gathering dust? Just because it worked for her will it work for me?
So as I ask these questions, a few messages pop into my head that will help me answer some of them: 1. Listen to your body 2. Go back to the basics 3. It's time for a break.

So what does that mean for me? Well I won't be competing again this year ... hopefully 2011 though. It also means I need to learn how to manage my stress. I'm going to start with yoga and meditation on a regular basis. And I'm going to find new and fun ways to stay in shape to add to my regular weight lifting workouts (don't want to stop those!!!) ... group classes ... unique boot camps etc.

But I won't be abandoning my blog. I've decided I'm going to write reviews of all the new workouts I try this summer. If you have any suggestions please pass them on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment