Monday, June 28, 2010

Humbled by a Hula Hoop

Who knew a sparkly green childhood toy could inflict so much pain … but still make me smile! Last week I was humbled by a hula hoop. That’s right. That fun, colorful, plastic circle of good times, meant to go ’round and ’round your waist. Well mine spent a lot of time on the ground. It was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. However, as frustrating as it may sound … I was smiling the whole way through. My quest for fun fitness activities took me to a FREE hula hoop class at Heavens Fitness (www.heavensfitness.com). Wow! It was fun … despite having to do more picking up than spinning. And speaking of spinning … the class had its own DJ … DJ Wes Straub was spinning on the ones and twos! So the sweet tunes sort of distracted me from the fact that every time my hula hoop dropped (which was quite often) it would hit the same spot on my left shin … over and over and over … until a bright red bruise emerged … ouch! But it wasn’t all dropsies for me. I did have a few moments of hula hoop brilliance … especially when DJ Wes threw in a little Michael Jackson on the turntables. (RIP MJ). And a lot of the energy came from the instructor Jessica Power-Cyr. She was a ball of fire! You could tell she loved what she was doing. Her vibrancy kept me going … spin, spin … drop … spin … drop … spin, spin, spin …. drop, drop, drop … SMILE! At least I got a little squat workout in … bending down to pick up that humbling hoop.

Something else really cool about this class … it was outside! Right along a busy road way … so can you imagine the looks we were getting by people driving by? I think most of them wanted to join in on the fun!

All in all it was definitely FUN ... even though I had to ice my bruises …

If you want to see how I rated this, check out the Bundles of Energy website: www.bundlesofenergy.com/humbled-by-a-hula-hoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment