Sunday, July 11, 2010

Getting Down and Dirty!

I had the sweatiest, dirtiest workout ever this weekend! By the time it was over I was covered in grass and dust … dirt was under my finger nails … I had a couple mosquito bites and sweat had soaked everywhere through my workout gear. And I never felt better! I know, I know. You’re dying to find out who I got down and dirty with right? It was Peter Estabrooks from Probodies Gym (www.probodies.ca) … and about 30 of his best fitness friends! Peter is a fitness master in Calgary. He’s so uber fit it’s not funny. He’s been asking me to go to this TKO class for about 2 years now. Yes that’s right … two years! I’m glad I waited that long though because I’m probably in better shape now … which helps for this hour long circuit. And there is a bonus for doing it at this time of year. It was outside … hence the grass and dirt!
So this is what happens. Peter sets up dozens of different exercise work stations, assigns everyone to a starting point and tells them who to follow when he gives the cue. It was tons of fun! Not to mention that you’re hitting every body part throughout the hour of fitness power. And most of the time you can go at your own pace. In fact, Peter suggested that since I was a TKO virgin I should probably pace myself. What made the class that much better was Peter’s positive uber upbeat attitude throughout the entire 60 minutes. It was more like we were playing a game than working out.
Here were some of my favorite exercise: running with a partner passing a medicine ball, hand clapping push-ups with resistance from rubber tubing, weighted sit-ups, bouncing the “ball on a string” from side to side (even though I hit myself in the head several times … hahaha!) There are just so many to choose from … and they’re so hard to describe because they’re all so unique. You just have to go to the class to find out!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a lot of fun! I swear my best workouts are when I work in the yard. It's that same feeling. You just keep pushing through, get dirt under your nails and feel great afterward. I think I need to do more yard work! lol

    Any idea how to find out if there's a class like that in my area? I'm in Calif.

    ReplyDelete